Purbrook Junior School is aware of the needs of all of its pupils and this includes those children who are considered More Able. We provide a curriculum which ensures that children have every opportunity to flourish as high achievers in every area of life and learning.
We aim to develop fully all talents and special abilities, intellectually and socially, enabling More Able children to maximise their achievements. For example, the school uses differentiated educational provision in the classroom through curriculum enrichment and extension activities, providing teaching that makes learning challenging and enjoyable.
Provision for more able pupils is monitored to ensure that we:
- cultivate an ethos that develops children’s confidence in their own abilities and encourages children to take pride in their abilities
- broaden and enrich their learning
- provide challenging experiences and activities within and beyond the regular curriculum
- develop high level thinking skills and skills for life
- consider the personal, social and emotional development of children in addition to their intellectual needs
- appreciate that all More Able pupils are individuals who have their own strengths and weaknesses
In order to facilitate, nurture and develop the learning of More Able Children at Purbrook Junior School, the provision takes two forms:
Quality First Teaching – Daily Classroom Provision
- Differentiated tasks that provide high levels of challenge through breadth, depth and pace.
- Use of higher-order questioning to develop investigation, enquiry and promote high-level thinking skills
- Small group work pitched at a higher level with adult support
- Planned lessons where input and task design is tailored to facilitate the development of pupils’ individual talents and interests
Enrichment Opportunities activities outside the classroom
- Additional opportunities for sport, music and dance development
- Visits, expert visitors and master-classes
- Opportunities to be ‘leaders’ within school e.g. House Captain, Sports Captain, Eco Warriors, JIT members (Junior Improvement Team)
- Range of extra-curricular clubs and activities